POLLINIS is a European, independent and non-profit citizen movement which campaigns to politicians and the European institutions to accelerate - in Europe and in the world - the transition to a truly sustainable and productive agriculture that respects the environment and the pollinators on which it depends for its productions, but economically viable and profitable for the men and women who live on it.
POLLINIS aims to bring together experts from agriculture and beekeeping, lawyers and economists who work out proposals for innovative and pragmatic reform to convince politicians and European leaders to reform the CAP (Common Agricultural Policy) and the dominant intensive agricultural model - to satisfy our food needs today, without jeopardizing the agricultural production and the environment for generations to come.
Established in 2012 to relay the concerns of citizens, scientists and experts, near the elected officials and the farming community, the association now brings together nearly 920,000 supporters across Europe, and more than 7,500 donors to day (figure of September the 1st 2014) who guarantee its absolute independence.
1- THE BAN OF BEE-KILLER PESTICIDES
Because scientific research shows one after the other the devastating effect of pesticides on our immediate environment and especially on pollinators that are the vital agents for our food, we spend most of our immediate efforts to get a Total ban of the neonicotinoid pesticides near the European authorities.
The current moratorium is a maneuver from the pesticide manufacturers to come back even stronger across Europe once it has shown its limitations and flaws that were introduced at conception for a failure after its implementation.
Only a total ban on the entire European space will allow agricultural systems to start over again on bases that are finally cleaned of tons of poisons discharged each day and more and more each year even without ever having proved their economic effectiveness for other actors rather than the manufacturers themselves.
2- THE TRANSITION TO A HEALTHY AND EFFECTIVE AGRICULTURE
We support the work and achievements that show us already for several years now the way forward for a sustainable and effective healthy agriculture for all and not only the agro-chemical companies or very large farmers, because billion euros have been spent in the current system that has arrived to a dead end and now benefits only a handful of players and does not allow to meet the challenges of the future of a healthy and affordable agriculture.
Faced with the massive destruction of ecosystems, global loss of arable land and soaring costs for operators to less economic efficiency, alternatives implemented and conducted all over the world for several years have demonstrated their efficiency, whether in economic or environmental terms.
Pollinis supports this works and promotes them near elected officials and media that this reality of an alternative to intensive farming chemicals and oil finally becomes the norm rather than the exception.
The association brings together more than 920,000 supporters across Europe and nearly 7,500 donors (figures of September the 1st 2014).
A supporter is a citizen who has committed at least once in our mobilization activities and regularly receives our information by post or email.
Concerned about the extinction of pollinators, the drifts of the dominant intensive agricultural model, and the consequences this may have for the environment and the sustainability of agricultural production, a small group of citizens founded in spring 2012 the Conservatory of Farms and Nature which is at the origin of the Pollinis project (Aurélia Ainscough, Jean-François Saada, Marie-Antoinette Micheli and Nicolas Laarman as the founders), with ambitions to:
- No longer assist passively to the environmental and health excesses of the agricultural intensive model - creating a new counter-power and acquiring new information and independent research tools in the service of this counter-power.
- To promote the progress of agroecology and alternative agricultural models near farmers, policy makers and the public, and improve the visibility of concrete experiences and work of agricultural research aiming to reduce drastically the use of chemical inputs in agriculture.
- To encourage the blossoming of projects and innovative local initiatives in agro-ecology and alternative agricultural methods, and to find useful resources for these projects.
- To alert and gather as many people throughout Europe to weigh all together in the face of the balance against the lobbies of the agrochemical industry
COMMITMENT AND RESPONSIBILITY OF CITIZENS
Faced with the growing influence of industry lobbyists, the instrumentalization of science, and the submission of experts to private interests, which aim to impose all sorts of products and decisions contrary to the public interest, we have no choice but to fight to enforce our preferences and collective choices.
The association Pollinis believes that there is no alternative for citizens rather than gathering together and to create new counter-powers and new information and research tools at the service of these counter-powers: Yes, it is possible, with will and courage to bring the citizens and the public interest at the heart of public policy!
INDEPENDENCE AS A BASE OF OUR ACTION
This independence is primarily political. Pollinis is not supported by any political party, government, community or professional organization and does not support any.
This political independence relies on a total financial independence.
Pollinis refuses any financial contributions from large companies, corporate, economic interest groups, unions or professional organizations, local authorities, governments, or European institutions. Funded solely by the generosity of thousands of citizens who participate in its actions and chose to support its approach and its development with a small donation.
This structural independence obviously guarantees our freedom of speech and action, in all places and in all circumstances.
PUBLIC INTEREST AS A DRIVER
Pollinis bases its positions on a rigorous analysis of the issues involved, based on the work of renowned scientists, independent technical expertise and proven long-term field experiences.
Pollinis mobilizes public opinion, builds power relations and forces policy makers to take a position on the issues raised by our actions.
Its campaigns and actions reflect the concerns and demands of hundreds of thousands of European citizens who see an urgent need for a paradigm shift in agriculture, to change the political rules and promote responsible behavior.
- Sensitize and inform citizens about the economic and environmental consequences of the dominant intensive agricultural model, on the environmental and financial consequences of its excesses, and trace their expectations near the public authorities.
- Conduct studies and scientific research needed for the development of knowledge on agroecology and alternative agronomic technics, either directly or through its partners.
- Promote the progress of agroecology and alternative agricultural models to farmers and the general public, and improve the visibility of concrete experiences and work of agricultural research to dramatically reduce the use of chemical inputs in agriculture.
- Promote to the elected officials and media proposals for pragmatic reforms developed from the work of experts. Pollinis ensures a permanent presence at the European institutions to sensitize the elected officials and allow the enactment of legislations the more in line as possible with our ideas and our work.
- Encouraging, supporting and networking field initiatives to help their development, multiplication, and to maximize their reach.
The financial independence is one of the founding values of the organization. We keep a freedom of speech and total action because we refuse as a principle and systematically all government grants and donations from companies. So we are 100% funded by private donations.
In addition, over 93% of our donors give us less than a hundred euros per year.
This system gives us a much needed financial stability and protects us against any questioning of our independence.
In order to maintain its political independence and freedom of speech and action, POLLINIS is one of the few organizations not to accept funding from governments or political parties, trade unions or professional organizations, European or national institutions: SO WE DEPEND ENTIRELY ON INDIVIDUALS WHO SUPPORT US. They enable us at 100% to carry out our campaigns for bees, sustainable farming and peasant agriculture.
Therefore, every citizen who supports the actions of POLLINIS is also a voice that adds to strengthen our counter-power, and our desire to restore and protect biodiversity. Together we can make a difference and give hope for a better future for our country and our planet.
Pollinis France is a nonprofit association of law 1901. In fact, a Board of Administrators directs it. The Board appoints the Executive Officer. Since the establishment of the association in May 2012 it is Mr. Nicolas Laarman.
>>Know more by visiting our "Gouvernance" page>>